An Idaho high school science teacher is being investigated by the state's professional standards commission for using the word "vagina" in a 10th grade biology class. Parents sparked the investigation by complaining that veteran teacher Tim McDaniel discussed women's private parts in a lesson on reproduction. "I don't teach anything the textbook doesn't mention," said a puzzled McDaniel.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
Subscribe to the Week