An Idaho high school science teacher is being investigated by the state's professional standards commission for using the word "vagina" in a 10th grade biology class. Parents sparked the investigation by complaining that veteran teacher Tim McDaniel discussed women's private parts in a lesson on reproduction. "I don't teach anything the textbook doesn't mention," said a puzzled McDaniel.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week