A U.S. Marine returned home from Iraq, only to be told that he can't fly an American flag on his property. Hypoluxo, Fla., officials told Gregory Schaffer that the flag must come down until he gets a permit costing about $1,000 for his flag pole. "I fought for the flag, and now I'm paying for the flag," Schaffer said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week