A U.S. Marine returned home from Iraq, only to be told that he can't fly an American flag on his property. Hypoluxo, Fla., officials told Gregory Schaffer that the flag must come down until he gets a permit costing about $1,000 for his flag pole. "I fought for the flag, and now I'm paying for the flag," Schaffer said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 6 things the most productive people do every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
Subscribe to the Week