Neil Diamond's soft rock favorite "Sweet Caroline" has been playing during the eighth inning at Boston Red Sox home games since 2002 for no other reason than to "send sweetness over the Fenway speakers." After the horrid Boston Marathon bombings last week, the city has never needed positivity more. Which is why Diamond took a redeye flight from Los Angeles to Boston on Saturday for an impromptu Fenway performance to thank first responders and members of law enforcement. As a plus, the Red Sox won.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Why insects are the future of food
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
Subscribe to the Week