he Local River aquarium (from $10,493) functions as both "an alternative to the standard (boring) fish tank" and "a fully functional refrigerator," says JustLuxe. Freshwater fish can be raised in the tank, and their water will be cleaned by the plants above, which grow by feeding off the fish's waste. Devoted locavores thus eventually need travel only a few steps from their kitchen to harvest enough fish and greens for dinner. And even if you don't use the Local River tank as a source for food, it's "pretty cool looking."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
Subscribe to the Week