The Local River aquarium (from $10,493) functions as both "an alternative to the standard (boring) fish tank" and "a fully functional refrigerator," says JustLuxe. Freshwater fish can be raised in the tank, and their water will be cleaned by the plants above, which grow by feeding off the fish's waste. Devoted locavores thus eventually need travel only a few steps from their kitchen to harvest enough fish and greens for dinner. And even if you don't use the Local River tank as a source for food, it's "pretty cool looking."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
Subscribe to the Week