The Local River aquarium (from $10,493) functions as both "an alternative to the standard (boring) fish tank" and "a fully functional refrigerator," says JustLuxe. Freshwater fish can be raised in the tank, and their water will be cleaned by the plants above, which grow by feeding off the fish's waste. Devoted locavores thus eventually need travel only a few steps from their kitchen to harvest enough fish and greens for dinner. And even if you don't use the Local River tank as a source for food, it's "pretty cool looking."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week