The Local River aquarium (from $10,493) functions as both "an alternative to the standard (boring) fish tank" and "a fully functional refrigerator," says JustLuxe. Freshwater fish can be raised in the tank, and their water will be cleaned by the plants above, which grow by feeding off the fish's waste. Devoted locavores thus eventually need travel only a few steps from their kitchen to harvest enough fish and greens for dinner. And even if you don't use the Local River tank as a source for food, it's "pretty cool looking."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to make salads for reluctant salad eaters
Subscribe to the Week