The banality of mass destruction: A press release from the United States Air Force announcing that, oh, by the way, nuclear-capable bombers have been sent to the Korean Peninsula as part of an exercise. And why announce this? Well, just because... it's an efficient way to fortify the U.S.'s rhetorical commitment to South Korea and demonstrate resolve to North Korea:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week