The banality of mass destruction: A press release from the United States Air Force announcing that, oh, by the way, nuclear-capable bombers have been sent to the Korean Peninsula as part of an exercise. And why announce this? Well, just because... it's an efficient way to fortify the U.S.'s rhetorical commitment to South Korea and demonstrate resolve to North Korea:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
Subscribe to the Week