The banality of mass destruction: A press release from the United States Air Force announcing that, oh, by the way, nuclear-capable bombers have been sent to the Korean Peninsula as part of an exercise. And why announce this? Well, just because... it's an efficient way to fortify the U.S.'s rhetorical commitment to South Korea and demonstrate resolve to North Korea:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
Subscribe to the Week