While a wide majority of Americans look at Congress with disdain, sometimes it’s important to look at the context. Our lawmakers were elected by voters after all, who according to a new Public Policy Polling survey released this week, don’t always see the world very clearly.
A sampling of the more alarming results:
• 6% of voters believe Osama bin Laden is still alive.
• 21% of voters say a UFO crashed in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947 and the federal government covered it up.
• 28% of voters believe secretive power elite with a globalist agenda is conspiring to eventually rule the world through an authoritarian world government, or New World Order.
• 28% of voters believe Saddam Hussein was involved in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
• 7% of voters think the Apollo moon landing was faked.
• 13% of voters think President Obama is the anti-Christ.
• 14% of voters say the CIA was instrumental in creating the crack cocaine epidemic in the inner cities in the 1980’s.
• 9% of voters think the government adds fluoride to our water supply for sinister reasons.
• 51% of voters say a larger conspiracy was at work in John F. Kennedy's assassination, while just 25% say Lee Harvery Oswald acted alone.
• 15% of voters say the government or the media adds mind-controlling technology to TV broadcast signals.
• 5% believe exhaust seen in the sky behind airplanes is actually chemicals sprayed by the government for sinister reasons.
• 15% of voters think the medical industry and the pharmaceutical industry “invent” new diseases to make money.
• 11% of voters believe the US government allowed 9/11 to happen.
So the next time you scoff at something dumb said by a lawmaker on Capitol Hill, keep in mind how they got there.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
Paul Allen's 'bitter' Bill-Gates-bashing memoir
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- Why internet voting is a very dangerous idea
Subscribe to the Week