elcome to "What Next?", The Week's contest about current events.
Last week's question: A new airline, Samoa Air, is charging passengers by their weight; the CEO claims this is "the concept of the future" since heavier passengers use more fuel. Please come up with the next innovative way for airlines to get more money out of customers.
THE WINNER: Install subway straps and charge extra for seats
Pam Barlow, Pequannock, N.J.
SECOND PLACE: Safe-landing fee
Mark Stine, Lake Orion, Mich.
THIRD PLACE: Turn passengers upside down and shake them
Alan Parven, Commerce Township, Mich.
Allow free cellphone use, then charge huge fees for sound-canceling earphones
Carla E Holtz, Stanardsville, Va.
Sell your lost luggage back to you. After all, finders keepers...
Jaime LaMere, Torrington, Conn.
Coin operated oxygen masks
Jeffrey Heady, Louisville
Ujjal Kohli, Saratoga, Calif.
Pay per breath, with optional frequent breather program
David Scott, Del Mar, Calif.
Per minute fee for using the bathroom
Brian Lexvold, Highlands Ranch, Colo.
Coin-operated window shades (pay per view)
Paul Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Pregnant women count as two passengers
Greig Fields, Katonah, N.Y.
Charge per individual ice cube in drinks
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
Add a charge to call the flight attendant
Raven Deerwater, Mendocino, Calif.
Window slide fee
Jim McMullan, Wofford Heights, Calif.
Fee for using overhead storage bin
Kenneth R. Updegrove, Cedaredge, Colo.
Per-minute reading light charge
Joseph Smith, Huntersville, N.C.
Overhead compartment now sold as sleeping cabin
Greg Hinson, Scranton, Pa.
Extra fee for a seat in a child-free section
Sarah Johnsen, Hartford, Wis.
Charge tuition for in-flight safety instructions
Cheryl Coyle, Lebanon, Pa.
Reclining seat fee
John Crouse, Bethel, Conn.
Purchase the right to un-recline the seat in front of you.
Tyson Mohr, Bloomington, Ill.
All carry on money will be subject to a 20 percent boarding fee
William D. Pezzulich, Tampa
Emotional baggage fee
Michael Egan, Cincinnati
Jim Ridge, Spring Green, Wis.
Sell souvenir passenger security-screening photos
Molly Tessler, Ardsley, N.Y.
Cut the pretense and just rob passengers at gunpoint
Diane Hoover, Mukilteo, Wash.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- The secrets of happy families
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- What every TV show can learn from Sleepy Hollow
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
Subscribe to the Week