The trailer: Director Francis Lawrence, taking over the second film in the franchise from Gary Ross, kicks off this two-and-a-half minute trailer with Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) being presented as the champions of the Hunger Games just as they are to begin their victory tour. The two start to see evidence of the revolution that has touched off across Panem because of their unprecedented and defiant double-win in the arena. Director Francis Lawrence juxtaposes scenes of their journey and the burgeoning revolution with a conversation between the evil President Snow (Donald Sutherland) and the new head gamemaker Plutarch Heavensbee (Philip Seymour Hoffman). Snow and Plutarch are not happy with the way the Games ended, and declare that because Katniss has become a "beacon of hope," she must be eliminated.
The reaction: This is "far more than just a teaser," says Moviefone. Not only do we finally get to see the victors after their harrowing experience in the arena, but the trailer also "gives us our first glimpse at Philip Seymour Hoffman" as Plutarch. His role in the second film will be an important one. That's right, says Gael Fashingbauer Cooper at Today.com. No matter how much we viewers would like to see it happen, Snow and Plutarch aren't about to let Katniss and Peeta live happily ever after, says Cooper. "Are you excited to see all the drama coming Katniss' way?" teases Gina Carbone at Wetpaint. "Kisses. Punches. People trying to kill her." Well, you'll have to contain your excitement for awhile. Catching Fire hits theaters on Nov. 22.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week