The trailer: Director Francis Lawrence, taking over the second film in the franchise from Gary Ross, kicks off this two-and-a-half minute trailer with Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) being presented as the champions of the Hunger Games just as they are to begin their victory tour. The two start to see evidence of the revolution that has touched off across Panem because of their unprecedented and defiant double-win in the arena. Director Francis Lawrence juxtaposes scenes of their journey and the burgeoning revolution with a conversation between the evil President Snow (Donald Sutherland) and the new head gamemaker Plutarch Heavensbee (Philip Seymour Hoffman). Snow and Plutarch are not happy with the way the Games ended, and declare that because Katniss has become a "beacon of hope," she must be eliminated.
The reaction: This is "far more than just a teaser," says Moviefone. Not only do we finally get to see the victors after their harrowing experience in the arena, but the trailer also "gives us our first glimpse at Philip Seymour Hoffman" as Plutarch. His role in the second film will be an important one. That's right, says Gael Fashingbauer Cooper at Today.com. No matter how much we viewers would like to see it happen, Snow and Plutarch aren't about to let Katniss and Peeta live happily ever after, says Cooper. "Are you excited to see all the drama coming Katniss' way?" teases Gina Carbone at Wetpaint. "Kisses. Punches. People trying to kill her." Well, you'll have to contain your excitement for awhile. Catching Fire hits theaters on Nov. 22.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The big policy question libertarians can't answer
Subscribe to the Week