The trailer: With less than two months until the Superman reboot Man of Steel hits theaters, Warner Bros. has released an extended three-minute trailer that offers the best glimpse by far at the Zack Snyder-directed film. The trailer, which follows Superman from birth to the moment he dons his iconic costume, is framed by a voiceover in which Superman's adoptive father, Jor-El (Russell Crowe), gives him advice for life on Earth. "You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun." The trailer also offers a look at the film's broad ensemble of Superman staples, including adoptive father Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner), investigative reporter Lois Lane (Amy Adams), and the villainous General Zod (Michael Shannon). Is this rebooted origin story worth the trip to your local movie theater, or is Man of Steel looking less than super?
The reaction: The trailer is "an almost perfect blend of action and drama, with reports of fans even tearing up at parts," says Mark Cassidy at Comic Book Movie. Yes, it's certainly moody, says Anthony Breznican at Entertainment Weekly — but this "more emotional, angry, passionate Superman" also stands in stark contrast to the lighter, more playful version played on film by Christopher Reeve (Superman I-IV). Will Man of Steel "satisfy the purists while drawing in new admirers? Or will the masses prefer their hero to remain old-school?" We'll find out when Man of Steel hits theaters on June 14.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week