The strangest aspect of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's Twitter account, as verified by CNN and BuzzFeed, is how normal it looks. Like many other 19-year-old boys, he quotes hip-hop lyrics, talks about his iPhone, and makes Family Guy references.
However, his last tweet is chillingly casual, coming a day after the Boston Marathon bombings:
These are the tweets he sent on the day of the bombings, which he is suspected of carrying out in concert with his older brother Tamerlan:
After the bombings, he joked:
Most of the account consists of jokes, complaints about school, mentions of TV shows (including The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Game of Thrones, and Breaking Bad), car talk, and advice about picking up women.
"Mirror mirror on the wall, I ain't too short I ain't too tall god dam I have it all"- fresh prince— Jahar (@J_tsar) March 7, 2013
No class for two hours? Is that a nap I feel coming on #hellyeaa— Jahar (@J_tsar) March 6, 2013
When he did mention Islam, the sentiments were innocuous:
I don't argue with fools who say islam is terrorism it's not worth a thing, let an idiot remain an idiot— Jahar (@J_tsar) January 16, 2013
I meet the most amazing people, spent the day with this Jamaican Muslim convert who shared his whole story with me, my religion is the truth— Jahar (@J_tsar) December 31, 2012
The same when he refers to Chechnya, his mother country:
proud to be from #chechnya— Jahar (@J_tsar) April 29, 2012
i hold my own i got that #chechnyanpower— Jahar (@J_tsar) March 14, 2012
As NPR's Andy Carvin points out, Tsarnaev's Twitter account had only 120 followers two days ago. At the time of publication, the count is 27,606 and climbing.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
Subscribe to the Week