Welcome to "What Next?", The Week's contest about current events.
Last week's question: Google is working on a self-driving car, and the automakers hope to follow suit — out of recognition that, overall, humans are pretty bad at driving. What is the next complicated task that robots should take out of our hands to save us from ourselves?
THE WINNER: Going to the gym where I bought a membership
John Malatesta, New York City
SECOND PLACE: Untangling Christmas lights
Ginny Schaller, Houghton, Mich.
THIRD PLACE: Legislating
Jim Rauff, Decatur, Ill.
Navigating customer service call menu options
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, Va.
Filling out our taxes
Carl Schack Jr., Cincinnati, Ohio
Selecting our spouse (to lower the divorce rate)
William W. Lowe, Red Lion, Pa.
Marsha Einhorn, New York City
Putting on our makeup while we drive
Karen Mikula, Mokena, Ill.
Greig Fields, Katonah, N.Y.
Speaking on the phone
John Crouse, Bethel, Conn.
Paul Binder, Bellevue, Wash.
Assembling the tent on a camping trip
Alan Parven, Commerce Township, Mich.
Nicholas Jozefczyk, Macomb, Mich.
Finding gluten-free, low-carb, low-acid, organic lunches
Alex Goldklang, Astoria, N.Y.
Timely taking out of the garbage
Dick LaVine, New York City
Texting, while doing anything else
Brett Howard, Washington, D.C.
Programming the VCR
Ken Radziwanowski, East Windsor, N.J.
Telling you if that dress really does make you look fat
Krista Zaruba, Lauderdale, Minn.
Putting the toilet seat down
Ian Schlentner, Tempe, Ariz.
Saying "please" and "thank you"
Joanne Sullivan, Maspeth, N.Y.
Interpreting the Constitution
Richard Schiff, Oakland, Md.
Visiting the in-laws
Marcia Allen, Palo Alto, Calif.
Selecting Valentine’s Day gifts
Greg Hinson, Scranton, Pa.
Kate Keesee, Suffolk, Va.
Screwing in a light bulb
Mark McGann, Austin
Enacting gun control legislation
Amy Bosch, Seattle
Dave Stonesifer, Mohnton, Pa.
Teaching teenage boys table manners
Naomi Brody, West Hempstead, N.Y.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week