"I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."
With those words in Sports Illustrated, Jason Collins shocked the sports world on Monday, and became the first active professional athlete in a major American sport ever to come out as openly gay. And so far, at least, his fellow NBA athletes are embracing him with open arms.
Jason Collins has announced that he is gay. I know Jason and his family well and I support him 100%.— Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) April 29, 2013
Jason Collins showed a lot of courage today and I respect him for taking a stand and choosing to live in his truth. #nbafamily— Way of WADE (@DwyaneWade) April 29, 2013
Really hope people will RESPECT Jason Collins for his decision to come out. Just glad he can now relax and not be afraid to be who he is.— tony Parker (@tonyparker) April 29, 2013
Really hope people will RESPECT Jason Collins for his decision to come out. Just glad he can now relax and not be afraid to be who he is.— Bruce Bowen (@Bowen12) April 29, 2013
Played NBA +college w/ @jasoncollins34 -tremendous human being and PHENOMENAL teammate, leader, friend.Look forward 2his continued success!— Mark Madsen (@madsen_mark) April 29, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
Subscribe to the Week