Martha Stewart has joined Match.com. That's a real thing. The 71-year-old media mogul says she turned to online dating after watching several employees find successful matches online, and after talking to her niece's new husband, Dan Slater, who kind of wrote the book on the topic, Love in the Time of Algorithms.
In general, "people are either surprised or snarky about Martha Stewart going onto Match.com to find a guy," says Pepper Schwartz at CNN. Well, "what did they think she was going to do: Make a man out of paper maché or cookie dough?" Lots of people 50 and older are flocking to the internet to make a love connection, or at least land a date, Schwartz says. Why? "When men and women get over 50, the odds of just bumping into Ms. or Mr. Right aren't in their favor." Stewart deserves credit for "her bravery and knowing what she wants, without letting pride get in the way."
Call it snark or call it a loving homage, but Conan O'Brien has added his particular brand of humor to Stewart's online quest. "Rather than comment," though, says Mariella Mosthof at The Braiser, "he simply shared with the audience Martha's profile video, which was partly a declaration of her needs and desires, and partly a how-to, Martha-style." Watch Conan's spiced-up version of Stewart's profile above, but be warned that things get mildly kinky.
Or, here's the real Martha Stewart discussing her decision to join the online dating world, on NBC's Today:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- How to flirt, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- How any actor (even a really nice one) can play a truly evil villain like King Joffrey
Subscribe to the Week