et your mint juleps ready, folks, because it's Derby day. Saturday marks the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs. And as most everyone knows, it's not all about the ponies. Endearingly over-the-top hats are also a major part of the festivities. Here, a photographic guide to some of our favorites from years past:
May 6, 2006 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 3, 2003 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 3, 2008 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Brent Smith)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Jeff Haynes)
May 7, 2011 (Frank Jansky/ZUMA Press/Corbis)
May 4, 1986 (Kit Houghton/CORBIS)
May 7, 2011 (Rob Carr/Getty Images)
May 5, 2012 (Elsa/Getty Images)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Jeff Haynes/Corbis)
May 7, 2011 (Al Bello/Getty Images)
May 5, 2012 (Jamey Price/Getty Images)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week