Last week's contest: Employers complain that recent college grads need lessons in how to behave in a job interview, since some of them text, look down at their smartphones, and even take calls. We asked for the title of a college class that would teach students what not to do while interviewing for their first job.
THE WINNER: Mono-tasking 101
Beth Simon, Oakland
SECOND PLACE: COM 104: Communicating Without Electronic Devices
Tim Lanter, Alexandria, Ky.
THIRD PLACE: Interview Techniques of Ancient Civilizations: 1980–1995
Charles & Mary Parry, Catonsville, Md.
EyeContact Yes, iContact No: A Pre-Modern Approach to the Post-Modern Job Interview
Russell Siler Jones, Asheville, N.C.
What to Expect While You're Still Texting
Nicholas Clark, Charlottesville, Va.
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, Calif.
Fundamentals of Live Human Interaction
Clive Nickerson, Cranston, R.I.
How to Blow a Job Interview Without Really Trying 101
Larry Hatke, Jackson, Wis.
George Parker, Raleigh, N.C.
Turn Off, Tune Out, and Drop In
Cathy Casriel, New York City
Remedial Introduction to Behaving Like a Grown-up
David Levin, Edgewater, Md.
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, Va.
How to Ignore Friends and Text Less People
Brett Howard, Washington, D.C.
What I Should Have Learned in Kindergarten
Jim Carroll Jones, Mountain View, Calif.
Craig Kesselheim, Southwest Harbor, Maine
How Not To Make a Last Impression
Margaret Peterson, Des Moines, Iowa
Comprehensive Analysis of Self-Explanatory Interview Behavior
Elicia Elliott, Mercer Island, Wash.
How to Succeed in Business by Really Trying
Manuel V. Ojeda, Nogales, Ariz.
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Why There's No Job on the Verizon
Ramon Presson, Franklin, Tenn.
Living Without a Net
Christopher Glenn, La Mesa, Calif.
Hands Free Job Interviewing
Herbert Ludwig, Dana Point, Calif.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week