ast week's contest: Employers complain that recent college grads need lessons in how to behave in a job interview, since some of them text, look down at their smartphones, and even take calls. We asked for the title of a college class that would teach students what not to do while interviewing for their first job.
THE WINNER: Mono-tasking 101
Beth Simon, Oakland
SECOND PLACE: COM 104: Communicating Without Electronic Devices
Tim Lanter, Alexandria, Ky.
THIRD PLACE: Interview Techniques of Ancient Civilizations: 1980–1995
Charles & Mary Parry, Catonsville, Md.
EyeContact Yes, iContact No: A Pre-Modern Approach to the Post-Modern Job Interview
Russell Siler Jones, Asheville, N.C.
What to Expect While You're Still Texting
Nicholas Clark, Charlottesville, Va.
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, Calif.
Fundamentals of Live Human Interaction
Clive Nickerson, Cranston, R.I.
How to Blow a Job Interview Without Really Trying 101
Larry Hatke, Jackson, Wis.
George Parker, Raleigh, N.C.
Turn Off, Tune Out, and Drop In
Cathy Casriel, New York City
Remedial Introduction to Behaving Like a Grown-up
David Levin, Edgewater, Md.
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, Va.
How to Ignore Friends and Text Less People
Brett Howard, Washington, D.C.
What I Should Have Learned in Kindergarten
Jim Carroll Jones, Mountain View, Calif.
Craig Kesselheim, Southwest Harbor, Maine
How Not To Make a Last Impression
Margaret Peterson, Des Moines, Iowa
Comprehensive Analysis of Self-Explanatory Interview Behavior
Elicia Elliott, Mercer Island, Wash.
How to Succeed in Business by Really Trying
Manuel V. Ojeda, Nogales, Ariz.
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Why There's No Job on the Verizon
Ramon Presson, Franklin, Tenn.
Living Without a Net
Christopher Glenn, La Mesa, Calif.
Hands Free Job Interviewing
Herbert Ludwig, Dana Point, Calif.
- The logic behind the world's 4 weirdest strategic reserves
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: The world's front pages
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Is it possible to live forever?
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
Subscribe to the Week