Last week's contest: Employers complain that recent college grads need lessons in how to behave in a job interview, since some of them text, look down at their smartphones, and even take calls. We asked for the title of a college class that would teach students what not to do while interviewing for their first job.
THE WINNER: Mono-tasking 101
Beth Simon, Oakland
SECOND PLACE: COM 104: Communicating Without Electronic Devices
Tim Lanter, Alexandria, Ky.
THIRD PLACE: Interview Techniques of Ancient Civilizations: 1980–1995
Charles & Mary Parry, Catonsville, Md.
EyeContact Yes, iContact No: A Pre-Modern Approach to the Post-Modern Job Interview
Russell Siler Jones, Asheville, N.C.
What to Expect While You're Still Texting
Nicholas Clark, Charlottesville, Va.
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, Calif.
Fundamentals of Live Human Interaction
Clive Nickerson, Cranston, R.I.
How to Blow a Job Interview Without Really Trying 101
Larry Hatke, Jackson, Wis.
George Parker, Raleigh, N.C.
Turn Off, Tune Out, and Drop In
Cathy Casriel, New York City
Remedial Introduction to Behaving Like a Grown-up
David Levin, Edgewater, Md.
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, Va.
How to Ignore Friends and Text Less People
Brett Howard, Washington, D.C.
What I Should Have Learned in Kindergarten
Jim Carroll Jones, Mountain View, Calif.
Craig Kesselheim, Southwest Harbor, Maine
How Not To Make a Last Impression
Margaret Peterson, Des Moines, Iowa
Comprehensive Analysis of Self-Explanatory Interview Behavior
Elicia Elliott, Mercer Island, Wash.
How to Succeed in Business by Really Trying
Manuel V. Ojeda, Nogales, Ariz.
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Why There's No Job on the Verizon
Ramon Presson, Franklin, Tenn.
Living Without a Net
Christopher Glenn, La Mesa, Calif.
Hands Free Job Interviewing
Herbert Ludwig, Dana Point, Calif.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week