On May 18, 2012, Mark Zuckerberg, wearing one of his signature black hoodies, rang the opening bell on the Nasdaq stock market, kicking off trading for Facebook — one of the most highly anticipated IPOs in history.
Immediately, the market went bonkers: Nasdaq's systems couldn’t handle the tsunami of trading volume, and broke down. As Facebook lawyers later suggested in a legal filing, the nail-biting half-hour spooked investors and drove down share prices. After years of buildup, shares of Facebook closed almost flat on the first day of trading.
It turned out to be a fitting omen. Facebook's share price has declined markedly as it struggles to explain how it will earn the kind of revenue its giant IPO promised. Here are some of the numbers behind Facebook’s first year as a publicly traded company:
The total value of Facebook's IPO
Facebook's current market cap
Number of times the company’s earnings were multiplied to reach its original valuation
Percentage increase in shares Facebook released for sale just before the IPO, due to heavy investor demand
Minutes Facebook trading was delayed on the first day, due to technical glitches
Original stock price
The high Facebook shares reached on the first day
Closing stock price on the first day
Facebook's current share price (give or take)
Facebook revenue from its initial public offering
Percent Facebook's share price has dropped since opening day
Revenue from the first quarter of 2012, before it was public
Revenue from Facebook's most recent quarter
Percent of revenue Facebook made from right-column desktop ads before the IPO
Percent of revenue Facebook now makes from mobile advertising
Active Facebook users as of March
Active users in December 2012
Average revenue Facebook earned per user in 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week