Deen and her brother, Bubba Hiers, own a dining establishment called Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House, where, according to a lawsuit by former restaurant manager Lisa Jackson, they created a work environment simmering with casual racism and sexual innuendo.
When Jackson's attorney asked Deen whether she had ever used the N-word before, she replied, "Yes, of course," adding, "It's been a very long time."
Paula Deen Enterprises later released a statement saying, "To be clear, Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination."
So, what other offensive or just plain weird things has she said in the past? Grab a stick of butter, y'all, it's time to delve into the mind of Paula Deen.
On potential servers for her brother's wedding
"The whole entire wait staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie. I mean, it was really impressive. And I remember saying I would love to have servers like that, I said, but I would be afraid that someone would misinterpret (it)." [Associated Press]
On healthy snacks for her grandson, Jack
"I keep butter balls around my house in a butter dish and Jack eats them like they're mints." [Grub Street]
On her legacy
"When you hear the name Paula Deen, I don’t want you to think of the word 'butter.' I want you to think of the word 'hope.'" [Huffington Post]
On her unique relationship with Gordon Elliott, her producer
"Gordon tells me not to edit myself. You know, he’s my puppet master. He sticks his hand up my bleep and makes my mouth move." [Orange County Register]
On God telling her to make her diabetes public, right after accepting a multimillion dollar deal to sponsor a diabetes drug
"To say I'm a very religious person, I can't say that, because I don't go to church. But I'm a very spiritual person. I knew that the opportunity to share would present itself." [Huffington Post]
On how to cope with diabetes
"You can have diabetes and have a piece of cake. You cannot have diabetes and eat a whole cake." [Gawker]
On her domination of Twitter
I have more followers that McDonald's. I'm lovin' it, y'all!— Paula Deen (@Paula_Deen) June 30, 2011
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
Subscribe to the Week