An analyst at Searchmetrics is making a bold claim about social networking, saying that Google's social networking site Google+ will outgrow Facebook by February of 2016.
Searchmetrics explained how it crunched the numbers to get such a surprising estimate, "The basis for the calculation are the percentage growth rates of the two networks of the last 6 months, referring to the rise of social signals or, more precisely, only the shares. Over this period, Facebook saw a monthly average growth of almost 10 percent, while Google+'s average grew by almost 19 percent per month (again, we refer to U.S. figures). These values form the basis for our forecast."
The main problem with pitting Google+ against Facebook is user engagement. While you may automatically get a Google+ account when you sign up for Gmail or activate your Android smartphone, it doesn't mean you are going to use it, and many people allow their accounts to sit idle. Searchmetrics acknowledged this problem, "The fact that Google+ percentage grew much stronger than initially proposed is especially surprising. However, the activity of users on the Google network is much more behind… Concerning both absolute numbers of social signals and the activity of users, Facebook is seemingly indisputably ahead."
Other analysts had some harsh words for Searchmetric's conclusions. "That is idiotic," Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter told MarketWatch, citing the fact that Google+ users are on the site for an average of 11 minutes per month, while people use Facebook an average of 400 minutes each month.
For now many are viewing the estimate with skepticism. Unless Google can get Google+ users to actually engage with the site instead of just forcing a Google+ account on everyone who wants to use Gmail or Android, then it's unlikely Google+ will surpass Facebook anytime soon.
More from Wall St. Cheat Sheet...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week