Last week's contest: The members of the biggest band in the world, the Thai Elephant Orchestra, have been trained to hold mallets in their trunks and strike oversized xylophones, marimbas, and drums. What would be the ideal song for the band to play?
THE WINNER: "I Feel the Earth Move"
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
SECOND PLACE: "Do Your Ears Hang Low?"
Dick LaVine, New York City
THIRD PLACE: The national anthem at the 2016 Republican National Convention
Kent A. Harries, Pittsburgh
"Reinforced Bridge Over Troubled Water"
Ivan Kershner, Salem, S.C.
"Send in the Clowns"
Jeffrey Smithson, Rexford, N.Y.
"Fat-Bottomed Girls" by Queen
Jeffrey Markowski, Round Lake, N.Y.
"I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan
Joanne Sullivan, Maspeth, N.Y.
"In My Trunk" by Dev
Ujjal Kohli, Saratoga, Calif.
"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"
Preston Gilroy, White Plains, N.Y.
"Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Trunk"
Charles & Mary Parry, Catonsville, Md.
"Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, Va.
Pachyderm's Canon in D Major
Paul Binder, Bellevue, Wash.
"Hit the Road, Pach"
Angela James, Westminster, Md.
"Welcome to the Jungle"
Fiona Neary, Fredericksburg, Va.
Dick Adler, Franklin, N.C.
"Not-So-Little Drummer Boy"
Jeffry O'Connor, Palm Springs, Calif.
"The Weight" by The Band
James T. Smith, Jacksonville, Fla.
"Pink Elephants on Parade" from Dumbo
Richard Lee, San Francisco
Michael J. Kramer, Plano, Texas
"Ebony and Ivory" by Paul McCartney
Kc. Boren, Victoria, Texas
"Run Through the Jungle" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Jim Donoghue, Des Moines
"A Whole Lot of Shaking Goin' On"
Dave Ray, Moline, Ill.
"The Leader of the Pachyderm"
Vincent D'Amico, The Villages, Fla.
"Baby Elephant Walk" from Hatari
Harold Warren, Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
"I've Got A Crush On You"
Tom Woodard, Nashville
The Tuskegee Fight Song
Bob Stokes, Portland, Ore.
"Stompin' at the Savoy"
Jeanne Pacheco, Tucson
"Bang the Drum All Day" by Todd Rundgren
Jordan Clarke, San Diego
Jack Miller, Venice, Fla.
John Cage's "4:33"
Patrick Allen, Delaware, Ohio
"Pachy Breaky Heart"
Paul Raff, Santa Monica, Calif.
"Memory" by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Randy LePage, Cambridge, Ohio
Richard Molloy, East Walpole, Mass.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week