A soldier carries an elderly survivor as he runs down a stretch of the road to Lingguan township in Ya'an, Sichuan province. Rescuers struggled to reach a remote, rural corner of southwestern China as the toll of the dead and missing from the country's worst earthquake in three years climbed to more than 200, with almost 1,000 serious injuries. Click through for a look at more of the week's most captivating images.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Girls on Film: 5 essential World War II movies directed by women
Subscribe to the Week