soldier carries an elderly survivor as he runs down a stretch of the road to Lingguan township in Ya'an, Sichuan province. Rescuers struggled to reach a remote, rural corner of southwestern China as the toll of the dead and missing from the country's worst earthquake in three years climbed to more than 200, with almost 1,000 serious injuries. Click through for a look at more of the week's most captivating images.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- How rain helped the Mongols conquer Asia
- 10 things you need to know today: March 12, 2014
- True Detective's dangerous lies about satanic ritual abuse
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 2 proven ways to increase your willpower — courtesy of the Cookie Monster
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
Subscribe to the Week