soldier carries an elderly survivor as he runs down a stretch of the road to Lingguan township in Ya'an, Sichuan province. Rescuers struggled to reach a remote, rural corner of southwestern China as the toll of the dead and missing from the country's worst earthquake in three years climbed to more than 200, with almost 1,000 serious injuries. Click through for a look at more of the week's most captivating images.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week