BBC correspondent Paul Wood said Wednesday that there are multiple sources alleging Russia is in possession of potentially embarrassing or compromising material regarding President-elect Donald Trump. The initial reports on the matter, released late Tuesday, had hinged on a dossier prepared by a single source, identified Wednesday afternoon by The Wall Street Journal as former British intelligence officer Christopher Steele; Wood clarified that he had been told by someone involved in U.S. intelligence that at least one Eastern European intelligence agency also knew that Russia was in possession of such material, separate from Steele's document. "I got a message back that there was allegedly more than one tape, not just video, but audio as well, on more than one date, in more than one place, in both Moscow and St. Petersburg," Wood said, but "nobody should believe something just because an intelligence agent says it." Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov on Wednesday denied the reports, calling them "an absolute fiction," and Trump dismissed the allegations as "nonsense" during a press conference Wednesday.

Scroll for 5 things you
need to know now