esidents of Newport Beach, Calif., are up in arms over the news that many city lifeguards make more than $100,000 a year, with two making $200,000. Lifeguard union president Brent Jacobson says the salaries reflect the extra challenges of patrolling a surfing mecca. "Lifeguarding here is different than any other place in the entire world," said Jacobson.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week