Paddling has always been the buzzkill of surfing. For every minute spent on your feet, you put in far more time on your belly arms windmilling. Enter the WaveJet ($4500), which works "much like a Jet Ski": While the rider stands tall, two battery-powered motors hum underfoot to propel the board forward at up to 12 mph. WaveJet boards for now are all being produced by longboard pioneer Steve Walden. Even so, buyers shouldn't expect to be welcomed on every beach: "Surfers can be a harsh lot when it comes to new toys in the water." Source: The Seattle Times
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
Subscribe to the Week