Paddling has always been the buzzkill of surfing. For every minute spent on your feet, you put in far more time on your belly arms windmilling. Enter the WaveJet ($4500), which works "much like a Jet Ski": While the rider stands tall, two battery-powered motors hum underfoot to propel the board forward at up to 12 mph. WaveJet boards for now are all being produced by longboard pioneer Steve Walden. Even so, buyers shouldn't expect to be welcomed on every beach: "Surfers can be a harsh lot when it comes to new toys in the water." Source: The Seattle Times
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
Subscribe to the Week