fficials have charged an Oak Park, Mich., homeowner with a crime for growing vegetables in her own front yard. Although Julie Bass' vegetable garden is tidy, city planner Kevin Rulkowski says vegetables are "not what we want to see in a front yard." The city code requires "suitable" vegetation, says Rulkowski, which he defines as a "nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week