fficials have charged an Oak Park, Mich., homeowner with a crime for growing vegetables in her own front yard. Although Julie Bass' vegetable garden is tidy, city planner Kevin Rulkowski says vegetables are "not what we want to see in a front yard." The city code requires "suitable" vegetation, says Rulkowski, which he defines as a "nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week