fficials have charged an Oak Park, Mich., homeowner with a crime for growing vegetables in her own front yard. Although Julie Bass' vegetable garden is tidy, city planner Kevin Rulkowski says vegetables are "not what we want to see in a front yard." The city code requires "suitable" vegetation, says Rulkowski, which he defines as a "nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers."
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- 35 classy slang terms for naughty bits from the past 600 years
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Watch the overstuffed first trailer
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- How America's unions can reinvent themselves in the new economy
Subscribe to the Week