Officials have charged an Oak Park, Mich., homeowner with a crime for growing vegetables in her own front yard. Although Julie Bass' vegetable garden is tidy, city planner Kevin Rulkowski says vegetables are "not what we want to see in a front yard." The city code requires "suitable" vegetation, says Rulkowski, which he defines as a "nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- 10 innovative furniture designs that brilliantly save you space
- 5 innovative uses for baking soda
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
Subscribe to the Week