D.C.'s deadlock over the issue of raising the debt ceiling has had one positive effect: It's united Americans in their fury at what Jeff Mason at Reuters calls an "unprecedented level of dysfunction among Democratic and Republican politicians alike." Newly relevant: Post-partisan sentiments like that expressed on the back of this Pissed-Off T-Shirt ($20).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
Subscribe to the Week