ack in 2009, Texas Gov. Rick Perry floated the idea that Texas might secede from the United States because "we're a pretty independent lot...." Now a top candidate for the GOP 2012 nomination, Perry seems intent on leading our once-repellent-to-him nation — as this tongue-in-cheek T-shirt ($14.95) punnily notes: "If at first you cannot secede, Run for President!"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week