Back in 2009, Texas Gov. Rick Perry floated the idea that Texas might secede from the United States because "we're a pretty independent lot...." Now a top candidate for the GOP 2012 nomination, Perry seems intent on leading our once-repellent-to-him nation — as this tongue-in-cheek T-shirt ($14.95) punnily notes: "If at first you cannot secede, Run for President!"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
Subscribe to the Week