A Florida lawmaker who sponsored the state's "Pull Your Pants Up" law handed out 200 leather belts this week to students with sagging pants. State Sen. Gary Siplin, who is black, has been accused of unfairly targeting black students. But Siplin (left) said parents have thanked him for his crusade. "They say, 'How can they walk down the street showing their behinds?'" Siplin said. "It’s not civilized."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- 10 things you need to know today: July 28, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The militarization of America’s police
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
Subscribe to the Week