A Florida lawmaker who sponsored the state's "Pull Your Pants Up" law handed out 200 leather belts this week to students with sagging pants. State Sen. Gary Siplin, who is black, has been accused of unfairly targeting black students. But Siplin (left) said parents have thanked him for his crusade. "They say, 'How can they walk down the street showing their behinds?'" Siplin said. "It’s not civilized."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week