A Florida lawmaker who sponsored the state's "Pull Your Pants Up" law handed out 200 leather belts this week to students with sagging pants. State Sen. Gary Siplin, who is black, has been accused of unfairly targeting black students. But Siplin (left) said parents have thanked him for his crusade. "They say, 'How can they walk down the street showing their behinds?'" Siplin said. "It’s not civilized."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The week's best photojournalism
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week