Florida lawmaker who sponsored the state's "Pull Your Pants Up" law handed out 200 leather belts this week to students with sagging pants. State Sen. Gary Siplin, who is black, has been accused of unfairly targeting black students. But Siplin (left) said parents have thanked him for his crusade. "They say, 'How can they walk down the street showing their behinds?'" Siplin said. "It’s not civilized."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- How moderns celebrate Good Friday and Easter
Subscribe to the Week