A Florida lawmaker who sponsored the state's "Pull Your Pants Up" law handed out 200 leather belts this week to students with sagging pants. State Sen. Gary Siplin, who is black, has been accused of unfairly targeting black students. But Siplin (left) said parents have thanked him for his crusade. "They say, 'How can they walk down the street showing their behinds?'" Siplin said. "It’s not civilized."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- California's epic drought
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
Subscribe to the Week