A Wisconsin firefighter who is paid $50,000 a year on permanent disability has competed in seven marathons and one Ironman triathlon. Aaron Marjala, 28, says he has nerve damage in an elbow that prevents him from firefighting. "I have minor limitations," he said, "but it doesn’t stop me from getting out and enjoying stuff."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week