A Wisconsin firefighter who is paid $50,000 a year on permanent disability has competed in seven marathons and one Ironman triathlon. Aaron Marjala, 28, says he has nerve damage in an elbow that prevents him from firefighting. "I have minor limitations," he said, "but it doesn’t stop me from getting out and enjoying stuff."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week