A Wisconsin firefighter who is paid $50,000 a year on permanent disability has competed in seven marathons and one Ironman triathlon. Aaron Marjala, 28, says he has nerve damage in an elbow that prevents him from firefighting. "I have minor limitations," he said, "but it doesn’t stop me from getting out and enjoying stuff."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week