A Wisconsin firefighter who is paid $50,000 a year on permanent disability has competed in seven marathons and one Ironman triathlon. Aaron Marjala, 28, says he has nerve damage in an elbow that prevents him from firefighting. "I have minor limitations," he said, "but it doesn’t stop me from getting out and enjoying stuff."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
Subscribe to the Week