Texas will no longer allow death-row inmates to choose a last meal before execution. Officials made the change after murderer Lawrence Brewer ordered an elaborate last meal — including a triple bacon cheeseburger, a pizza, a pound of barbecued meat, and ice cream — then declared he wasn’t hungry. "Enough is enough," said state Sen. John Whitmire. Choosing one's last meal is "a privilege which the perpetrator did not provide to their victim."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 innovative uses for baking soda
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
Subscribe to the Week