exas will no longer allow death-row inmates to choose a last meal before execution. Officials made the change after murderer Lawrence Brewer ordered an elaborate last meal — including a triple bacon cheeseburger, a pizza, a pound of barbecued meat, and ice cream — then declared he wasn’t hungry. "Enough is enough," said state Sen. John Whitmire. Choosing one's last meal is "a privilege which the perpetrator did not provide to their victim."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
Subscribe to the Week