Texas will no longer allow death-row inmates to choose a last meal before execution. Officials made the change after murderer Lawrence Brewer ordered an elaborate last meal — including a triple bacon cheeseburger, a pizza, a pound of barbecued meat, and ice cream — then declared he wasn’t hungry. "Enough is enough," said state Sen. John Whitmire. Choosing one's last meal is "a privilege which the perpetrator did not provide to their victim."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: August 31, 2014
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
Subscribe to the Week