exas will no longer allow death-row inmates to choose a last meal before execution. Officials made the change after murderer Lawrence Brewer ordered an elaborate last meal — including a triple bacon cheeseburger, a pizza, a pound of barbecued meat, and ice cream — then declared he wasn’t hungry. "Enough is enough," said state Sen. John Whitmire. Choosing one's last meal is "a privilege which the perpetrator did not provide to their victim."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?
Subscribe to the Week