Apple's iPad has been gobbling up consumers in the competitive tablet market, but Amazon and Android are poised to start gorging, too. The e-retail giant just announced the imminent release of the Kindle Fire, an Android tablet that, at just $200, costs half the price of the cheapest iPad and is being called the iPad's first serious rival. Android fans can telegraph their desire to see Apple vanquished with this nutrition-minded "Hungry Android T-shirt," ($24).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
Subscribe to the Week