he Kwik Kar Lube & Service in Plano, Texas, is offering customers a righteous deal: Drivers who willingly recite a New Testament verse get a 50 percent discount on an oil change. The verse, John 3:16, is a concise declaration of owner Charlie Whittington's Christian faith: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Hmph, gripes atheist blogger Hemant Mehta. "You never see an atheist business owner saying she'll give you a discount if you say 'God is a myth.'"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why we need a maximum wage
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week