he Kwik Kar Lube & Service in Plano, Texas, is offering customers a righteous deal: Drivers who willingly recite a New Testament verse get a 50 percent discount on an oil change. The verse, John 3:16, is a concise declaration of owner Charlie Whittington's Christian faith: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Hmph, gripes atheist blogger Hemant Mehta. "You never see an atheist business owner saying she'll give you a discount if you say 'God is a myth.'"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week