The Kwik Kar Lube & Service in Plano, Texas, is offering customers a righteous deal: Drivers who willingly recite a New Testament verse get a 50 percent discount on an oil change. The verse, John 3:16, is a concise declaration of owner Charlie Whittington's Christian faith: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Hmph, gripes atheist blogger Hemant Mehta. "You never see an atheist business owner saying she'll give you a discount if you say 'God is a myth.'"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week