Estimated number of drunken driving episodes during the Great Recession year of 2010
Estimated number of instances in 2006
Percent decrease. Possible factors include "less discretionary driving as a result of the current economic downturn" and an increased tendency for people to drink at home.
Source: The CDC
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The girl who wouldn't die
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- California's epic drought
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week