Estimated number of drunken driving episodes during the Great Recession year of 2010
Estimated number of instances in 2006
Percent decrease. Possible factors include "less discretionary driving as a result of the current economic downturn" and an increased tendency for people to drink at home.
Source: The CDC
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- How to save Meet the Press
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
Subscribe to the Week