n 1989, Florida outlawed "dwarf tossing" — a public spectacle imported from Australia that briefly thrived in Sunshine State bars. Now, in a novel approach to job creation, state Rep. Ritch Workman (R) wants to bring it back, saying that while he's personally repulsed by the tossing of little people onto mattresses, it shouldn't be illegal. Banning the bar sport is oppressive "Big Brother government," he says. And in today's dire economy, the ban only "prevents some dwarfs from getting jobs they would be happy to get."
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- The secrets of happy families
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The science of making a guitar sound like a human voice
- Is the rent really too damn high?
Subscribe to the Week