n 1989, Florida outlawed "dwarf tossing" — a public spectacle imported from Australia that briefly thrived in Sunshine State bars. Now, in a novel approach to job creation, state Rep. Ritch Workman (R) wants to bring it back, saying that while he's personally repulsed by the tossing of little people onto mattresses, it shouldn't be illegal. Banning the bar sport is oppressive "Big Brother government," he says. And in today's dire economy, the ban only "prevents some dwarfs from getting jobs they would be happy to get."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- How America's internet can become the fastest on Earth
Subscribe to the Week