n 1989, Florida outlawed "dwarf tossing" — a public spectacle imported from Australia that briefly thrived in Sunshine State bars. Now, in a novel approach to job creation, state Rep. Ritch Workman (R) wants to bring it back, saying that while he's personally repulsed by the tossing of little people onto mattresses, it shouldn't be illegal. Banning the bar sport is oppressive "Big Brother government," he says. And in today's dire economy, the ban only "prevents some dwarfs from getting jobs they would be happy to get."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week