Gibson's new Firebird X ($5,570) is arguably "quite revolutionary." Essentially a traditional electric guitar with a built-in computer, it "can model over 2,000 different sounds and styles out of the box." It comes with Gibson’s trademarked RoboHead Tuners, which automatically tune the strings to any of multiple tunings. Purists don’t like the X, but it opens up infinite possibilities. Its Freescale processor "can run apps approved and sold through the Gibson website," and won’t go obsolete because it’s completely upgradable. Source: TechCrunch.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week