n anonymous 40-year-old actress is suing popular movie database IMDb and its owner, Amazon, for fraud and defamation — after IMDb published her true age and real name. "Jane Doe" says the site used her credit card data to dig up her age, then published it without her permission, crippling her career. She wants $75,000 in compensation and $1 million in punitive damages. "In the entertainment industry, youth is king," says her complaint. "If one is perceived to be 'over-the-hill,' i.e., approaching 40, it is nearly impossible... to get work."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week