An anonymous 40-year-old actress is suing popular movie database IMDb and its owner, Amazon, for fraud and defamation — after IMDb published her true age and real name. "Jane Doe" says the site used her credit card data to dig up her age, then published it without her permission, crippling her career. She wants $75,000 in compensation and $1 million in punitive damages. "In the entertainment industry, youth is king," says her complaint. "If one is perceived to be 'over-the-hill,' i.e., approaching 40, it is nearly impossible... to get work."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The next pandemic
Subscribe to the Week