n anonymous 40-year-old actress is suing popular movie database IMDb and its owner, Amazon, for fraud and defamation — after IMDb published her true age and real name. "Jane Doe" says the site used her credit card data to dig up her age, then published it without her permission, crippling her career. She wants $75,000 in compensation and $1 million in punitive damages. "In the entertainment industry, youth is king," says her complaint. "If one is perceived to be 'over-the-hill,' i.e., approaching 40, it is nearly impossible... to get work."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week