An anonymous 40-year-old actress is suing popular movie database IMDb and its owner, Amazon, for fraud and defamation — after IMDb published her true age and real name. "Jane Doe" says the site used her credit card data to dig up her age, then published it without her permission, crippling her career. She wants $75,000 in compensation and $1 million in punitive damages. "In the entertainment industry, youth is king," says her complaint. "If one is perceived to be 'over-the-hill,' i.e., approaching 40, it is nearly impossible... to get work."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What if The Purge was real?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week