The 21st century has so far failed to deliver on past promises of hover boards and jet packs for everyone. But the Light-Light ($1,350) may just "satiate our need for all things futuristic." It looks like a normal lamp, except that the top half of the shade floats freely above the rest thanks to a set of magnets and "the engineering genius" of a small Dutch startup. Also available in a more traditional design, the Light-Light uses LED bulbs that are "not only energy-efficient" but "dimmable to your mood." Source: GadgetReview.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- California's epic drought
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
Subscribe to the Week