Grinnell College in Iowa is setting up "gender-neutral" locker rooms for athletes who feel constrained by traditional "male" and "female" gender labels. Grinnell — founded in 1846 by a group of New England Congregational ministers — already offers gender-neutral dorm floors and will not call students "he" or "she" if they prefer. "More students today don't identify with the binary," explains professor Astrid Henry, who teaches gender, women's, and sexuality studies.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 30, 2014
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Barack Obama's futile attempt to be a modern-day George Washington
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
Subscribe to the Week