Grinnell College in Iowa is setting up "gender-neutral" locker rooms for athletes who feel constrained by traditional "male" and "female" gender labels. Grinnell — founded in 1846 by a group of New England Congregational ministers — already offers gender-neutral dorm floors and will not call students "he" or "she" if they prefer. "More students today don't identify with the binary," explains professor Astrid Henry, who teaches gender, women's, and sexuality studies.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week