rinnell College in Iowa is setting up "gender-neutral" locker rooms for athletes who feel constrained by traditional "male" and "female" gender labels. Grinnell — founded in 1846 by a group of New England Congregational ministers — already offers gender-neutral dorm floors and will not call students "he" or "she" if they prefer. "More students today don't identify with the binary," explains professor Astrid Henry, who teaches gender, women's, and sexuality studies.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week