rinnell College in Iowa is setting up "gender-neutral" locker rooms for athletes who feel constrained by traditional "male" and "female" gender labels. Grinnell — founded in 1846 by a group of New England Congregational ministers — already offers gender-neutral dorm floors and will not call students "he" or "she" if they prefer. "More students today don't identify with the binary," explains professor Astrid Henry, who teaches gender, women's, and sexuality studies.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
- Did Paul Ryan just throw in the towel on 2016?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
Subscribe to the Week