Grinnell College in Iowa is setting up "gender-neutral" locker rooms for athletes who feel constrained by traditional "male" and "female" gender labels. Grinnell — founded in 1846 by a group of New England Congregational ministers — already offers gender-neutral dorm floors and will not call students "he" or "she" if they prefer. "More students today don't identify with the binary," explains professor Astrid Henry, who teaches gender, women's, and sexuality studies.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week