The chairman of Estée Lauder's famous declaration that women buy more cosmetics during a recession because clothes are too expensive is holding true: Sales of high-end makeup jumped by 9 percent in the last year. And shoppers are finding still more lavish ways to splurge. Case in point: La Prairie Cellular Lip Color ($55), a lipstick infused with a farm-raised-caviar extract. "This luxurious lipstick is for the woman who wants it all," LaPrairie says. Perhaps, says Bee-Shyuan Chang at The New York Times, but the "blini and vodka [are] not included."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
Subscribe to the Week