The chairman of Estée Lauder's famous declaration that women buy more cosmetics during a recession because clothes are too expensive is holding true: Sales of high-end makeup jumped by 9 percent in the last year. And shoppers are finding still more lavish ways to splurge. Case in point: La Prairie Cellular Lip Color ($55), a lipstick infused with a farm-raised-caviar extract. "This luxurious lipstick is for the woman who wants it all," LaPrairie says. Perhaps, says Bee-Shyuan Chang at The New York Times, but the "blini and vodka [are] not included."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week