he chairman of Estée Lauder's famous declaration that women buy more cosmetics during a recession because clothes are too expensive is holding true: Sales of high-end makeup jumped by 9 percent in the last year. And shoppers are finding still more lavish ways to splurge. Case in point: La Prairie Cellular Lip Color ($55), a lipstick infused with a farm-raised-caviar extract. "This luxurious lipstick is for the woman who wants it all," LaPrairie says. Perhaps, says Bee-Shyuan Chang at The New York Times, but the "blini and vodka [are] not included."
- 10 things you need to know today: December 9, 2013
- Watch SNL delightfully mess with all your childhood Christmas favorites
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- The emerging budget deal is a small victory for Republicans
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- Making money: Bargain-hunting tips, and more
Subscribe to the Week