For Thanksgiving, PETA is urging the tiny town of Turkey, Texas, to change its name to Tofurky for just one day — in honor of the (sometimes mocked) vegan turkey alternative. The animal rights group, no stranger to publicity stunts, promised the town that if it obliged, PETA would provide a "healthy vegan holiday feast" for all residents. Unfortunately for PETA, Turkey isn't interested in highlighting the supposed "plight" of the holiday-dinner birds. "We love Turkey, and we're not about to change our name," one resident said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 10 burning questions you've always wanted to ask about investing
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- Immigration, charity, and conservatives' unholy assault on Glenn Beck
Subscribe to the Week