For Thanksgiving, PETA is urging the tiny town of Turkey, Texas, to change its name to Tofurky for just one day — in honor of the (sometimes mocked) vegan turkey alternative. The animal rights group, no stranger to publicity stunts, promised the town that if it obliged, PETA would provide a "healthy vegan holiday feast" for all residents. Unfortunately for PETA, Turkey isn't interested in highlighting the supposed "plight" of the holiday-dinner birds. "We love Turkey, and we're not about to change our name," one resident said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week