For Thanksgiving, PETA is urging the tiny town of Turkey, Texas, to change its name to Tofurky for just one day — in honor of the (sometimes mocked) vegan turkey alternative. The animal rights group, no stranger to publicity stunts, promised the town that if it obliged, PETA would provide a "healthy vegan holiday feast" for all residents. Unfortunately for PETA, Turkey isn't interested in highlighting the supposed "plight" of the holiday-dinner birds. "We love Turkey, and we're not about to change our name," one resident said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week