For Thanksgiving, PETA is urging the tiny town of Turkey, Texas, to change its name to Tofurky for just one day — in honor of the (sometimes mocked) vegan turkey alternative. The animal rights group, no stranger to publicity stunts, promised the town that if it obliged, PETA would provide a "healthy vegan holiday feast" for all residents. Unfortunately for PETA, Turkey isn't interested in highlighting the supposed "plight" of the holiday-dinner birds. "We love Turkey, and we're not about to change our name," one resident said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week