For Thanksgiving, PETA is urging the tiny town of Turkey, Texas, to change its name to Tofurky for just one day — in honor of the (sometimes mocked) vegan turkey alternative. The animal rights group, no stranger to publicity stunts, promised the town that if it obliged, PETA would provide a "healthy vegan holiday feast" for all residents. Unfortunately for PETA, Turkey isn't interested in highlighting the supposed "plight" of the holiday-dinner birds. "We love Turkey, and we're not about to change our name," one resident said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 10 things you need to know today: December 18, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Could better U.S.-Cuban relations thwart baseball's human smuggling problem?
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
Subscribe to the Week