Number of degrees by which everyone in the world was thought to be separated, according to a famous 1967 study; hence the phrase, "six degrees of separation"
Number of degrees by which everyone in the world is actually separated, according to a new study of 721 million active Facebook users
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- How Captain America won over China
- How to flirt, according to science
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week