A legal battle has erupted between rapper Trey Songz and Dave Hester, star of the TV auction show Storage Wars, over the right to yell "Yuuup!" Songz says "Yuuup!" became his "signature sound" long before Hester began using it. Hester insists that Songz's "yuuup" is "distinct and different from Hester's more monosyllabic-sounding, guttural auction-bidding phrase."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
Subscribe to the Week