Percent of U.S. 17-year-olds with a driver's license in 1983
Percent of U.S. 17-year-olds with a driver's license in 2008. Factors: A rise in "virtual" hanging out, plus higher gas prices.
Percent of Americans 70+ with a driver's license, up from 55 percent in 1983. Factors: Improved health and delayed retirements.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- 10 things you need to know today: July 28, 2014
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
Subscribe to the Week