Percent of U.S. 17-year-olds with a driver's license in 1983
Percent of U.S. 17-year-olds with a driver's license in 2008. Factors: A rise in "virtual" hanging out, plus higher gas prices.
Percent of Americans 70+ with a driver's license, up from 55 percent in 1983. Factors: Improved health and delayed retirements.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week