Percent of U.S. 17-year-olds with a driver's license in 1983
Percent of U.S. 17-year-olds with a driver's license in 2008. Factors: A rise in "virtual" hanging out, plus higher gas prices.
Percent of Americans 70+ with a driver's license, up from 55 percent in 1983. Factors: Improved health and delayed retirements.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- In defense of family dinner
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week