Percent of U.S. 17-year-olds with a driver's license in 1983
Percent of U.S. 17-year-olds with a driver's license in 2008. Factors: A rise in "virtual" hanging out, plus higher gas prices.
Percent of Americans 70+ with a driver's license, up from 55 percent in 1983. Factors: Improved health and delayed retirements.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
Subscribe to the Week