Percent of U.S. 17-year-olds with a driver's license in 1983
Percent of U.S. 17-year-olds with a driver's license in 2008. Factors: A rise in "virtual" hanging out, plus higher gas prices.
Percent of Americans 70+ with a driver's license, up from 55 percent in 1983. Factors: Improved health and delayed retirements.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Barack Obama's futile attempt to be a modern-day George Washington
- 10 things you need to know today: August 30, 2014
- Girls on Film: Belle is one of the most groundbreaking, joyous movies of the summer
Subscribe to the Week