o explain his absence from work, Scott Bennett of Brookville, Pa., planted an obituary for his mother in the local paper, The Jeffersonian Democrat, and showed it to his boss. Bennett's scheme to take paid bereavement leave started falling apart when friends and relatives began calling the paper to report the error, and eventually, Bennett's mother showed up at the newspaper herself, police say. Bennett lost his job, and the cops arrested him for disorderly conduct. "One of the reasons we didn't file more serious charges was he has enough problems as it is," explains police chief Ken Dworek.
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
- Is it possible to live forever?
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: The world's front pages
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- Can you 3D print an Hermes handbag?
Subscribe to the Week