A Georgia middle-school student has been suspended for four days after inadvertently bringing a knife to school and promptly telling his teacher. Jack Persyn, 13, told his teacher he found the small pocketknife in a schoolbag that his aunt had bought at a yard sale. "I can see a one-hour detention if they had to do something," said his father, Bill Persyn. "But this is nonsense."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Congress' craven approach toward the war on ISIS
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
Subscribe to the Week