A Georgia middle-school student has been suspended for four days after inadvertently bringing a knife to school and promptly telling his teacher. Jack Persyn, 13, told his teacher he found the small pocketknife in a schoolbag that his aunt had bought at a yard sale. "I can see a one-hour detention if they had to do something," said his father, Bill Persyn. "But this is nonsense."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
Subscribe to the Week