A Georgia middle-school student has been suspended for four days after inadvertently bringing a knife to school and promptly telling his teacher. Jack Persyn, 13, told his teacher he found the small pocketknife in a schoolbag that his aunt had bought at a yard sale. "I can see a one-hour detention if they had to do something," said his father, Bill Persyn. "But this is nonsense."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
Subscribe to the Week