A Georgia middle-school student has been suspended for four days after inadvertently bringing a knife to school and promptly telling his teacher. Jack Persyn, 13, told his teacher he found the small pocketknife in a schoolbag that his aunt had bought at a yard sale. "I can see a one-hour detention if they had to do something," said his father, Bill Persyn. "But this is nonsense."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- How I lost all my money
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The best books we read in 2014
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to wrap a present with mathematical precision (and waste less paper)
Subscribe to the Week