American pedestrians killed or seriously injured by trains, cars, and buses while wearing ear buds or headphones in 2010-11
Number of such deaths and injuries in 2004-05
Percent of headphone-related accidents in which the vehicle reported sounding a siren or horn before the crash
Source: Injury Prevention, via WebMD
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why everyone got upset about Marriott's plan to increase housekeepers' pay
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
Subscribe to the Week