American pedestrians killed or seriously injured by trains, cars, and buses while wearing ear buds or headphones in 2010-11
Number of such deaths and injuries in 2004-05
Percent of headphone-related accidents in which the vehicle reported sounding a siren or horn before the crash
Source: Injury Prevention, via WebMD
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week