American pedestrians killed or seriously injured by trains, cars, and buses while wearing ear buds or headphones in 2010-11
Number of such deaths and injuries in 2004-05
Percent of headphone-related accidents in which the vehicle reported sounding a siren or horn before the crash
Source: Injury Prevention, via WebMD
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week