Cars and trucks registered in the U.S. in 2011
Average age, in years, of those cars
Average age, in years, of a car in 1995. These days, the recession has played a "huge role" in deterring Americans from buying new cars, while "improved technology" has also made cars more durable.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week