Cars and trucks registered in the U.S. in 2011
Average age, in years, of those cars
Average age, in years, of a car in 1995. These days, the recession has played a "huge role" in deterring Americans from buying new cars, while "improved technology" has also made cars more durable.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
- Stop hating on cyclists
Subscribe to the Week