A British tourist was handcuffed and barred from entering the U.S. because he had tweeted that he planned to "destroy America." Leigh Van Bryan, 26, says he tried explaining to special agents in Los Angeles that "destroy," in current slang, simply means to "party quite hard in," but his clarification fell on deaf ears. "They just told me, 'You've really f---ed up with that tweet, boy,'" said Van Bryan.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week