One symptom of "Linsanity": The urge to turn Jeremy Lin's name into a pun — for better or worse. While the breakout New York Knicks point guard has inspired harmless phrases like "Lin and Bear It!" or "Linstant Replay," wordplay referencing Lin's Asian heritage has ruffled feathers. The New York Post caught flack for a cover that read, "Amasian!" while an ESPN writer was fired for his "Chink in the Armor" headline. More proof of heedless political incorrectness: This "Lincredible Sensasian!" tee ($24) — two puns for the price of one.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Stop calling the GOP the party of new ideas
Subscribe to the Week