U.S. children ages 2 to 5 with untreated cavities, thanks to poor brushing habits.
6 to 10
Cavities that dentists report seeing in the mouths of a rising number of preschoolers.
$2,000 to $5,000
Cost of putting preschoolers under full anesthesia, routinely advised for squirmy tykes who need cavities fixed
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
Subscribe to the Week