U.S. children ages 2 to 5 with untreated cavities, thanks to poor brushing habits.
6 to 10
Cavities that dentists report seeing in the mouths of a rising number of preschoolers.
$2,000 to $5,000
Cost of putting preschoolers under full anesthesia, routinely advised for squirmy tykes who need cavities fixed
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week