A California lawmaker wants to ban food trucks from within 1,500 feet of schools — farther away than medical marijuana stores must be. Democratic Assemblyman William Monning acknowledges that gourmet food trucks are wildly popular, but says that "the trucks that are coming to the schools are pushing low-cost, sugar-sweetened beverages and high-sodium snacks." Added Monning: "The kids aren't paying $17 for a risotto."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week