A California lawmaker wants to ban food trucks from within 1,500 feet of schools — farther away than medical marijuana stores must be. Democratic Assemblyman William Monning acknowledges that gourmet food trucks are wildly popular, but says that "the trucks that are coming to the schools are pushing low-cost, sugar-sweetened beverages and high-sodium snacks." Added Monning: "The kids aren't paying $17 for a risotto."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
Subscribe to the Week