A California lawmaker wants to ban food trucks from within 1,500 feet of schools — farther away than medical marijuana stores must be. Democratic Assemblyman William Monning acknowledges that gourmet food trucks are wildly popular, but says that "the trucks that are coming to the schools are pushing low-cost, sugar-sweetened beverages and high-sodium snacks." Added Monning: "The kids aren't paying $17 for a risotto."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
Subscribe to the Week