A California lawmaker wants to ban food trucks from within 1,500 feet of schools — farther away than medical marijuana stores must be. Democratic Assemblyman William Monning acknowledges that gourmet food trucks are wildly popular, but says that "the trucks that are coming to the schools are pushing low-cost, sugar-sweetened beverages and high-sodium snacks." Added Monning: "The kids aren't paying $17 for a risotto."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- 12 holiday gifts for the hardest-to-shop-for people on your list
Subscribe to the Week