A California lawmaker wants to ban food trucks from within 1,500 feet of schools — farther away than medical marijuana stores must be. Democratic Assemblyman William Monning acknowledges that gourmet food trucks are wildly popular, but says that "the trucks that are coming to the schools are pushing low-cost, sugar-sweetened beverages and high-sodium snacks." Added Monning: "The kids aren't paying $17 for a risotto."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week